My Meat-Free Chilli (Vegan Chilli Sin Carne)
I’m not vegan but I don’t eat a vast amount of meat and am trying to cut down even more. This vegan chilli recipe is a great one for week-nights – you can make a huge pot and it’ll last you for a good few meals.
Meat-Free Chilli / Chilli Sin Carne Recipe
2 large cloves garlic
1 onion chopped
1 pepper (red or orange) chopped
2 red chillis chopped (depending on how spicy you like things!)
1 heaped tsp Cumin powder
1/3 tsp All Spice
1 large tbsp Chipotle Paste (I use Sainsbury’s)
1 can cooked red kidney beans, drained
1 can/pack of cooked black beans, drained
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 handful of fresh coriander leaves to garnish
(You can add mushrooms, chopped, and courgette too if you like – both are amazing in it but I forgot to buy them, so…)
Rice and mashed avocado (with a touch of lime) to serve
1. Fry onions in vegetable (or other) oil until browned and almost caramelised. Mmmm.
2. Add the chopped pepper and chillis and fry until softened.
3. Add the dried spices and garlic, stir quickly and then add the chipotle paste. Have your tin of tomatoes ready to add in case the spices stick to the pan – you don’t want the garlic or spices to burn so keep stirring! Stir for about thirty seconds then add the toms and half a can of water.
4. At this point, I let the sauce cook for a few minutes whilst I drain my bean medley. Then add the beans to the sauce and allow to cook for anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour. If you keep it cooking along, check the water level and don’t let it dry out!
5. Mash your avocado, cook your rice (I use basmati, takes 10 mins to boil) and taste your chilli – at this point I add some ketchup if it needs zinging up a bit, and then salt to taste.
6. Serve it, eat it. I actually make mine REALLY spicy and have yoghurt with it but that wouldn’t very vegan so I left that fact out! It’s also great piled into taco shells or tortilla wraps with grated cheese/vegan cheese and sliced pickled jalapenos. : )
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/amodelrecommends
MY BLOG: http://www.amodelrecommends.com
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/modelrecommends
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: @modelrecommends